Sunday, September 15, 2013

Summer Reading!!!

I know that I have not blogged in a long time, and I have had a few requests to continue blogging (Michelle and Julianne) I will try to make good on my promises to continue.

At the beginning of the summer I signed Javen up for the Multnomah County Summer Reading program. The goal of the program is to get kids to read or be read to over the summer. At his age level each reading session would last 30 minutes (it was not always easy getting him to sit that long!) and at the end of the session we would fill in a square on his reading sheet. Each time filled in 12 marks he was eligible to get a prize. Javen was able to pick from little toys, books, and coupons for his prize and do you know what he picked? He picked out a .25 bouncy ball and lost it within two hours , as much as I tried to convince him to pick a book he did not want anything else.

Javen and I read many books this summer some of them are James and Giant Peach, The BFG, and The Witches (and many more small books). Yes there was a theme of books by Roald Dahl, I will blame this on my reading teacher in 6th grade, Mr. Pattianni ( not sure if I spelled his name right!), he only let us read books by Dahl.

While Casey and I  read the most to Javen I would like to thank those who also took time to read to him. Thank you to Grandma, Aunti Lauren, and his babysitter Alyssa.

So with 18 hours of reading time this summer we finished the reading program two days before the deadline. At the end Javen received a summer reading shirt and a pass to the Portland Children's Museum, more on that later!                        

                                               Yay we did it!
                                            Javen's finished reading chart.

I am so proud of you Javen!

4 comments:

  1. I love the summer reading program. Way to stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and adorable pictures! We have a summer reading program here too and Celeste was done within a couple weeks and the boys only made it half way through. :-) Miss that cute boy! Give him love from Auntie Shell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Javen!! Love the Roald Dahl theme :D

    ReplyDelete